Environmental Mission Statement

The Essex Experience is committed to protecting the environment, the health and safety of our employees, and the community in which we conduct our business. It is our policy to seek improvements throughout our business operations to lessen our impact on the local and global environment by conserving energy, water, and other natural resources; reducing waste generation; recycling and purchasing recycled products; and reducing our use of toxic materials. We are committed to pollution prevention, continual improvement and meeting or exceeding all environmental regulatory requirements.

We received our designation as an Environmental Partner on January 6, 2009 with the help of the Vermont Small Business Development Center and the Vermont Dept. of Environmental Conservation. We are officially the first and only green mall in the green mountain state! We will post our progress and accomplishment on this web page. For more information about the Vermont Business Environmental Partnership program please visit http://www.vbep.org/.

Car Charging Station

For those of you with vehicles running on electricity, we offer a car charging station to conveniently charge your vehicle while taking full advantage of our shopping experience. The station is located in between our office and the Hannaford store.

Green Accomplishments

1. Our Brochure: We printed 75,000 brochures on 25% post-consumer recycled paper and the other 75% of the paper is FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified. We also encourage those that take our brochure to bring them back to several of our shops to be reused or recycled. By changing our paper choice the Environmental Defense Fund – Paper Calculator (www.edf.org/papercalculator) estimate saving the following: 1 ton of wood (~5 trees), 211 lbs. Solid Waste, 3 Million BTUs energy, ~400 lbs. of CO2, and 1641 gallons of water.
2. EuroWest Properties the mall management office has also started to use 30% post-consumer recycled paper in all of our copy machines.
3. We have always recycled all of the cardboard, paper and assorted recyclables that come into the center by providing recycling location behind each building.
4. In most of the stores you will find that we are using energy efficient Super T-8 Fluorescent fixtures with electronic ballasts.
5. You will also find that we are using many Compact Fluorescent bulbs and are working towards changing all incandescent light bulbs in common areas to Compact Fluorescent bulbs.
6. We also have digital, programmable set back thermostats, in many areas.
7. We replaced two gas furnaces that were 60% efficient with two that are 95% efficient located in building two.
8. We upgraded the Orvis Outlet April 17, 2009. The Orvis Outlet is the first store to successfully push the Efficiency Vermont upgrade proposal and contract through it cooperate office for approval.
9. Lighting system upgrades with Efficiency Vermont is now complete. This project involved HammerFit, EuroWest offices, common areas, parking lot lighting and exterior lighting.
10. We were rewarded incentives by Efficiency Vermont to upgrade our lighting system. Efficiency Vermont sent an engineer to access the property. The engineer found that we were in need of upgrades and those upgrades could reduce our consumption of electricity on the local grid. The upgrades were made in our gym, common areas and parking lots to reduce the amount of electricity our shopping center and cinema consumes. http://www.efficiencyvermont.com
11. We have officially received our certification but still need to improve our facility for the future. We are committed to being a proactive Vermont Business Environmental Partner.

If you have questions please feel free to contact the office at 802-878-4200. If you would also like to find out more about the Vermont Business Environmental Partnership program please visit their website at http://www.vbep.org/